- a doctor board-certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation doing breast augmentation, tummy tucks and eyelid surgery.
- two board-certified oral surgeons doing breast augmentations, breast reductions, body lifts and liposuction.
- a board-certified emergency room doctor doing fat injections and body contouring.
- a general surgeon doing facelifts, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks and breast augmentations/lifts/reductions.
- a father and son board-certified obstetricians doing liposuction, tummy tucks, and breast augmentations.
- and, of course, a doctor with no board certification doing liposuction and fat transfers.
Appalling? Yes. Uncommon? Unfortunately, no. Do you think these folks should be doing plastic surgery?
We are really in a buyer-beware environment when it comes to elective cosmetic surgery. Prospective patients need to be very careful. Certainly you wouldn’t go to an oral surgeon for heart surgery, or an internist for brain surgery. Plastic surgery is not different.
So, for anyone considering plastic surgery, please do your homework. Make sure that the doctor you are seeing is not just board-certified, but board-certified in plastic surgery. Tto make this even easier, make sure your doctor is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery. Just look for the ASPS logo. Easy peasy!
All the best,